Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Bye bye my Y

After buying the new house a good 35 minute drive (in good traffic) away from the place I used to live, it was my full intention to quit the YMCA and search out other options. At my old place, my Y was fairly new (built in the last 10 years), so the facilities were clean. There were lots of hdtvs with cable channels on them, usually at least one news and one sports, but there were usually 15 or so to choose from. Additionally, about half the treadmills had their own television sets on which I could choose my own television show and channel, especially when my shuffle ran out of power, which it is doing a lot more lately.

In my new house, the closest Y is a 25 minute drive away from home, in normal traffic, and easily 10 more minutes in heavy traffic. Also, the facilities are more cramped and older. The locker rooms don't have many stalls for their showers (yeah, open air showers!) and they are carpeted, leaving the smell of chlorine strong in the rooms often. Their are about half as many tvs, and usually all but one are set on news or sports (or financial news) channels. Boooring! Although I will miss some of the things the Y offers (pool, steam room, cardio, and free or cheap classes) in one package, I will be exploring my options over the next few weeks. There are a few storefront gyms nearby, chain gyms without pools, a boxing gym with a weight room and a few cardio machines, one of the universities I work at has a decent, though small, fitness center (with no weekend hours during the summer, and limited weekend hours during the school year, and no pool), and another school I work at has a pool but almost no fitness center.

So my last workout today consisted of 4.85 miles run, and 1 mile on the bike. I'm pretty tired today, and I still have some grading to do. Only one more week for one of my summer classes, and then 3 weeks of summer left. Too bad my other class doesn't let out early enough to allow me any time off.

So starting tomorrow, I will be

No comments: