Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Accident Prone

Sometimes I wonder if the Evil Fairy was not invited to my baby shower, and cursed me. Perhaps the curse was that I would die, and the good fairies softened this by saying, no, I'd only trip and bump myself a lot, or maybe the Evil Fairy was the one to curse me with clumsiness. Evil can sometimes be insidious in its mundaneness. But I am clumsy.

I have scars on my forehead and chin from hitting sidewalks and coffee tables in the years I was learning how to walk. I've sawed into my hand with a hacksaw cutting limbs off a tree (the saw bounced off the tree and onto my hand). I often find bruises that have geneses of which I am not aware. I bump into so much, who could remember the creation of one in particular?

Last night I took Chloe out for a run around the neighborhood, and as usual, she decided it would be fun to charge at the cars that went by. Usually a few minutes into a run, she's lost this habit cause she's getting into the groove. However, as she ran to the humvee she bopped out in front of my feet to charge it, tripping me. I landed hands and knees first on the sidewalk, and dropped the leash on the way down.

She did come back to me as I angrily called her, and she made sheepish gestures (probably because of my negative tone of voice) but now I have an aching, swollen right knee. Last night it just hurt, no matter what I did, but today it only hurts if I move it around too much, or stand for too long (or kneel on it, but that one's probably obvious).

I did go boxing today anyway. I went yesterday as well. Both classes were 30 minutes, but they're getting a little easier. The particular exercises are still hard, but my endurance is getting better. I'm not nearly as wiped out at the end of class as I was last week. Yesterday I even stayed and ran 1.48 miles after the class (today my knee was too achy). I got my new boxing gloves today as well! No more shared sweaty gloves for me.

Wish me luck! Hopefully this injury will heal before I'm blessed with another.

No comments: