Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Ten Things I Miss About High School

Don't worry, this will be directly be followed (if I have time tomorrow, it's my busiest day of the week) by a list of the things I don't miss. So first, this:
1. Being obligated by school attendance policies to see on a regular basis my group of friends who went to that school. It's much harder to keep up a friendship when you've got a busy life and little to no money available for discretionary spending unless class or work or church or something forces you to keep up with someone habitually.
2. The cookies in the cafeteria made with Godiva chocolate chips.
3. Putting on plays.
4. Not really having to worry about money much beyond paying for French fries at Steak 'n Shake or a movie.
5. To doubly cover number 1, my best friend from then, who for unnamed and mysterious reasons now refuses to speak to me. I still love her and pray for her happiness and hope some day she'll talk to me again.
6. Dances, on the off chance I actually had a date.
7. Summer breaks in which I didn't have to scramble for summer funding. Unlike in grad school.
8. The person that I was- in sophomore and junior years at least. I had more friends and new how to have fun still. It's been a long time since my biggest worries were about getting a good part or finding a boy who thought of me as more than a friend.
9. President's Day and Staff Development days... no school!
10. Snow days! These days class iand work are never cancelled and I still have to drive in the ice and the sleet!

Okay, if anyone is reading this is there something I haven't thought of that might fit? Some iconic experience that y'all could suggest while hardly knowing me? Comment if you think of something or wish to rip on my choices, but keep in mind tomorrow's list about hating high school. The items on this list are mostly in the order that they occurred to me, but the cookies seriously fit near the top of my list- probably after missing J.

1 comment:

changeseeker said...

I miss feeling carefree. Nothing seemed all that important. I could ride on the back of an open convertible in the night air, screaming a raucous cheer of some kind at the top of my lungs and not give-a-shit. :-) Nice memory. Thanks.