Friday, September 23, 2005

Ten Things I Don't Miss About High School

1. Being obligated to see the people that have been mean to you since kindergarten on an almost daily basis. You know who you are, Sidwell!
2. Curfiews. Even though I'm almost always at home by eight p.m. these days.
3. Never really having a date. Seriously, in high school if you hadn't been out on a couple of dates one felt darn near defective.
4. Starting my day at 6 a.m. Though I guess I don't get up much later than that these days.
5. The month between fall play and musical.
6. The competition.
7. The classes. They were always just what I had to get through to do the afterschool stuff.
8. Seven classes and work and a social life- oops, I'm doing that right now.
9. Parental rules and lack of privacy.
10. Certain freshman with no respect for tradition who will remain nameless.

It's funny- the things you couldn't wait for- like a car and being able to stay out all night- seem so terribly pointless once you finally get them. I can stay out late, but I can't bounce back the next day any more. I can drive, but I have to maintain the car, pay for the gas and pay for the insurance. Some of the freedom is nice, but it's not the same kind of freedom.

No comments: